Summer is such a special time when you have kids! You get to explore new places, spend extra time together as a family, and enjoy the sunshine. But the summer months can fly by so quickly, and before we know it, we're back into the school year routine. Get inspiration from these summer activity ideas for kids and make the most of your time together!
Summer Activity Ideas for Kids
This quick list of 30 fun things makes for a great summer bucket list for you and your family! It can be inspiration for a fun-filled staycation or simply a tool to refer back to when you hear, 'Mom… I'm bored.'
- Take day trips to fun places in your area
- Work on brain puzzles like crosswords, sudoku, word searches, etc
- Buy a new family game
- Visit your local book stores
- Have an outdoor picnic
- Have fun with face paint
- Bake cookies for your neighbors
- Have a park play date with school friends
- Go on a short hike
- Find a local bike trail
- Fly a kite
- Build forts inside or outside
- Visit a local farmer's market
- Catch lightning bugs
- Play sports in the backyard (soccer, baseball, volleyball, etc)
- Try tennis at a local court
- Watch one of your favorite childhood movies with your kids
- Build a LEGO village
- Write letters to each other, friends, or relatives
- Go to local garage sales
- Make friendship bracelets
- Do kitchen science experiments
- Create a music video
- Make a backyard obstacle course
- Make slime
- Go geo-caching (like a virtual treasure hunt)
- Have water fights
- Play pictionary
- Play old school games like jump rope, hop scotch, and hula hoop
- Make your own ice pops
This article is written by Shari Medini
For more on this topic, check out the full Summer Safety & Activities collection
Summer Bucket List for Kids
Submit your email to receive instant access to this FREE printable!
Daily Summer Checklist for Kids
Having a more relaxed schedule is one of the things that we look forward to the most about summer. This more relaxed approach is usually a wonderful break for all of us after a school year of busy-ness, but there are definitely downsides to it too…
This more laidback schedule can sometimes mean that nothing gets accomplished over the course of a day. We start to adopt an attitude of, 'I'll do it tomorrow,' but in the meantime we are falling into bad habits and way too much screen time.
So if you are looking for a good middle ground solution between no schedules and too much rigidity, you can download a free Daily Summer Checklist for Kids here.
Be sure to let us know what your favorite summer activities include! And we hope you have a safe and sunny few months!
And for more on this topic, check out the full Summer Safety & Activities collection
Co-Owner: Shari Medini
Shari Medini is the co-owner of the parenting website Adore Them. Her prior experience includes working as a marketing strategist and writer on multi-million dollar capital campaigns, website designs, advertising campaigns, and book launches. Shari's parenting articles have been published in dozens of publications; and she enjoys doing various speaking engagements. When she's not on her laptop, Shari can be found spending quality time with her husband and two sons exploring their hometown of Lancaster County, PA
Expert parenting advice & resources from Adore Them