GO HERE for Pre-Order Offer
Moms may have the best job in the world! However, being a mother is also one of the hardest jobs. This is exactly why we need self care ideas for moms! We know that busy moms can have a hard time squeezing self care into their days, but it is important that we make an effort to care for ourselves.
From wiping bottoms and sticky fingers to teaching empathy and responsibility (among many other character traits and values), a mom’s job is essentially never done. Although it may change throughout different seasons of life, a mother’s role is always necessary in her children’s lives.
Why Moms Deserve Self Care
There is hardly a task that doesn’t fall under being a mom. After all, raising little human beings to be mature, independent, and respectful adults is no simple feat! So it’s understandable that moms need some time away—a mommy “time out”—regularly.
However, too often, moms feel guilty about giving themselves the care they need. Yet, without it, they may quickly become run down, irritable, and ready to snap in the blink of an eye.
Moms need to see the value in taking time for themselves. And husbands should also understand that when Mom gets some time to herself, she is reenergized and reset, ready to take on the next challenge. Self care ideas for moms are so important for the whole family!
Here are 101 self care ideas for moms:
- Read a book for fun.
- Go window shopping.
- Sit by a body of water (a creek, a lake, the ocean) and be still.
- Take a fitness, crafting, or artistic class.
- Go for a drive with no destination in mind.
- Take a weekend away—by yourself or with your girlfriends.
- Take a nap.
- Treat yourself to your favorite dessert.
- Watch the sunset or sunrise.
- Daydream about your dream house.
- Watch a funny movie.
- Go out for lunch with a friend.
- Buy yourself some flowers.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Write a gratitude list.
- Take an extra long shower.
- Learn a new skill.
- Set goals for yourself.
- Get a massage.
- Go to bed early.
- Get your hair done.
- Buy that special item that you normally wouldn’t buy for yourself.
- Call your best friend.
- Write a love letter to your sweetheart.
- Go for a walk in nature.
- Attend a concert.
- Sing in the car. REALLY LOUD!
- Do a puzzle.
- Try a new recipe.
- Go to bed early.
- Practice random acts of kindness.
- Give yourself a facial.
- Play like a kid. (Go carts anyone?!)
- Host a game night at your house (adults only).
- Have some tea or wine.
- Start a journal.
- Clear your schedule for the day to rest.
- Spend time with an elderly family member.
- Write a list of things you’ve accomplished and look at it when you’re feeling discouraged.
- Relax as you color in an inspirational coloring book.
- Eat something healthy that will give you energy.
- Have a bonfire (or sit by the fireplace).
- Ride a bike.
- Explore a new town or city.
- Get a manicure or pedicure (or both).
- Be a tourist in your own city.
- Schedule at least 10 minutes of “me” time daily.
- Go on a date with someone you love.
- Hire someone else to do one of your unfinished projects.
- Sleep in.
- Go to a café, have a coffee, and people watch.
- Take an online class or course.
- Take your vitamins.
- Play a game.
- Forgive someone.
- Create a mom-only space in your home.
- Join a local club or support group.
- Dress up in that special outfit you’ve been saving.
- Nature watch.
- Lay on your back in the grass and watch the sky.
- Make a craft.
- Eat a home-cooked meal (that someone else made).
- Get your vehicle detailed.
- Look at pictures of yourself when you were a child and reminisce.
- Change your hairstyle.
- Snuggle under a warm blanket.
- Delegate some of your tasks to others.
- Eat chocolate.
- Write a love note to yourself.
- Have a dance party in the kitchen or the bathroom…or wherever! (Consider including the kids in this one!)
- Make a new friend.
- Enjoy time with a pet.
- Plant a garden.
- Hug someone.
- Donate your unused items.
- Go with the flow on something you’d normally challenge.
- Watch some videos of puppies or kittens or equally cute things.
- Say “No” to something you really don’t want to do anyway.
- Take a personal day and use it just for yourself.
- Do some deep breathing.
- Envision your best self and take steps to become that person.
- Plan a fun event for yourself, your family, or your best friend!
- Buy a magazine and read it in bed (in your PJ’s).
- Make an ice cream sundae with your favorite toppings.
- Turn off your cell phone for a day.
- Watch some home movies of yourself and your family.
- Only look at the top 3 items on your to-do list at one time to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Stop thinking negatively (or talking about yourself negatively).
- Go star gazing.
- Stop procrastinating.
- Declutter a space in your home that you’ve been ignoring.
- Ask for help.
- Binge watch one of your favorite shows.
- Make a priority list and adjust your daily tasks accordingly.
- Ignore doubts that you’re a great mom.
- Be present in each moment.
- Do absolutely nothing.
The Importance of Self Care
Moms take care of everyone else without thinking much at all of themselves. Schedule time for self-care so that you can be the best mom you can be!
Be sure to share these self care ideas for moms with your friends!
Featured Contributor: Lindsey Cover
Lindsey Cover is a work-at-home wife and mom of two young boys, Jadon and Owen. She blogs about affordable healthy living, money-saving methods, simple recipes, and more at SimpleSaverWife.com
GO HERE for Pre-Order Offer